Learning in Reception
Learning in Reception is fun, imaginative and encourages independent learning without any boundaries.
We ensure children develop the essential foundations of learning in order to be ready to move into Year 1 and the National Curriculum. In reception, the framework that we follow is the Early Years Foundation Stage Development Matters.
Our Learning journey’s include:
- It’s all about me! – getting to know ourselves, our family, each other and our school.
- Let’s Celebrate – In the lead up to Christmas children share experiences of different celebrations held by families. They also learn about celebrations within the wider community. Also included in this topic is a trip to the Church and the Reception Nativity show.
- Once upon a time – The chance to explore characters, settings and plots from a selection of traditional tales… and meeting new friends along the way!
- The great outdoors – A chance to explore our wonderful school grounds as we look at nature at its best!
Our learning is guided by the children’s interests so therefore our topics develop and grow with our children.
Our learning environments include; two reception classes, three outside areas, a shared indoor area and a brand new Reception mud kitchen and garden!
We are very fortunate to have such wonderful environments to support our ‘free flow’ system and allows children to choose the area they wish to learn in throughout the school day.
Phonic phases and sounds
Throughout Reception we will cover phases 1, 2, 3, and 4. The children will secure their understanding of phonics through daily fun active sessions.
S, a, t, p, I, n, m, d, g, o, c, k, ck, e, u, r, h, b, f, ff, l, ll, ss
J, v, w, x, y, z, zz, qu, ch, sh, th, ng, ai, ee, igh, oa, oo, ar, or, ur, ow, oi, ear, air, ure, er
In this phase there are no new sounds. We secure our understanding of phase 2 and 3 sounds by reading and writing longer words!
Please use the links below to support your child with phonics
Phonicsplay – www.phonicsplay.co.uk
Letters & Sounds – www.letters-and-sounds.com
Maths Suitcases (Pre-passport)
Each child has a maths suitcase on display within the classroom. Once a child achieves a targeted aspect of maths, they gain an item to go in their suitcase. Only once their suitcase is full can they gain their passport (National Curriculum linked – see year 1 for more detail)
By the end of Reception we are aiming for the following:
- Counts reliably with numbers from 1-20
- Recall one more and one less for numbers to 20
- Add and subtract two single digit numbers
- Places numbers 1-20 in order
Try this link to support across all subject areas as well as the Maths Passport targets
Top Marks – www.topmarks.co.uk